Degree and Experience Requirement
Bachelor’s degree or higher (or global equivalent) in risk management, and
One year of full-time work experience (or full-time equivalence) in risk management*
Bachelor’s degree or higher (or global equivalent) in non-risk management area of study, and
Three years of full-time work experience (or full-time equivalence) in risk management*
Note: Degrees must be obtained from accredited or equivalent schools of higher education.
Internships count toward risk management experience.
Non-Degree Experience Requirement
Seven years of risk management experience*
Possessing the Associate in Risk Management (ARM) and/or Canadian Risk Management (CRM) designation counts towards two years of risk management experience.
*Risk Management Experience is occupational experience that leverages the opportunities and uncertainties associated with an organization’s goals and objectives. This includes implementing, developing or leading the risk management practices that enable an organization to make risk-effective decisions that create and sustain value.
Process for Applying
1. Review the eligibility requirements above
2. If you are eligible, complete the online application.
The application includes the following sections:
• Applicant Contact Information
• Code of Ethics, Disclosure and Attestations
• Higher Academic Education
• Qualifying Employment Experience
• Payment (Your application cannot be approved until payment is made.)
Before you start your application, make sure your supporting documents are ready. Depending on your eligibility, you are required to provide one or more of the following:
• Official university transcript
• Letter from the Registrar confirming dates of attendance—grades not required. (Copies of photographs of a diploma will not be accepted.)
• Employment verification form (Supervisor or HR Manager signature required)
3. After you’re approved, sign up for the exam.
You must take the exam within your authorized six-month timeframe. The RIMS-CRMP certifications exam is offered throughout the year. (Note: If you miss your timeframe, the examination fee will be forfeited and you will have to reapply as a new applicant.)
The RIMS-CRMP exam is available as a computer-based test at Pearson VUE Test Centers around the world. Find your exam location.
4. Prepare for the exam.
Review the exam domains and required reading to decide what you should study based on your risk management knowledge. Then download the RIMS-CRMP Study Guide.
5. Take the exam at your local Pearson VUE Test Center and pass
After you pass the exam, we will send you a certificate suitable for display and your RIMS-CRMP lapel pin. Your RIMS-CRMP Certification is valid for two years.
$350 for RIMS Members
$500 for Non-members
(includes nonrefundable $100 application processing fee)