The Government of Tamil Nadu has notified guidelines to be followed by the management before restarting the factories involving hazardous process / dangerous operations. The factories handling hazardous process / dangerous operations are instructed to follow the procedures while restarting the plants / processes without prejudice to the provisions of Factories Act 1948 and other applicable laws time being in force. Key points are as follows –
- All potential hazards involved in the start-up process shall be identified with respect to the materials, machinery and process and Safe Operating Procedure (SOP) shall be prepared and strictly followed.
- The operators adequately trained in the operating procedures and equipment control shall be engaged during start-up process under strict supervision of designated Safety Officers / competent persons.
- Prescribed personal protective equipment suitable to the working environment shall be provided to the persons engaged in the process.
- All types of storage tanks shall be checked for safety in terms of temperature, pressure and physical conditions.
- Proper working of all safety systems including Pressure gauges, Level gauges, Safety valves, Pressure relief valves, etc., shall be ensured and the safety equipment shall be Calibrated before start-up operations.
- The utility equipment like Boilers, Gensets, Cooling Tower, Air Compressor, etc., shall be checked for a trial run and the process shall be restarted after ensuring their safe operation.
- Permit to work system shall be strictly followed in all the areas and suitable precautionary measures shall be taken to mitigate all possible emergencies.